Consumer access to higher biofuel blends is being threatened and Iowa farmers and consumers need leaders to act now!
Governor Reynolds Sends Signal to EPA, Oil Refiners Iowa Preparing for State-Level Fix for E15
Governor Kim Reynolds recently led a bipartisan group of seven Midwestern governors seeking information on how to initiate a process under the provisions of the Clean Air Act that would put E10 and E15 on the same regulatory footing. This would make it possible for E15 to be sold all year in Iowa. Learn more about this process here.
Iowa Legislators Must Do All They Can to Ensure Consumer Access to E15
The growth and success of rural Iowa hangs in the balance. This coming legislative session, Iowa’s leaders must band together to ensure E15 is available year-round and that all consumers have access to this cleaner-burning, lower-cost fuel.
Widespread Access to E15 is the Fastest Way to Grow Rural Iowa, Support Farmers
As the nation’s leading producer of biofuels, Iowa has a lot to gain by expanding consumer access to higher biofuel blends all year round.
- Iowa biofuels support nearly 40,000 jobs, including several high-paying high-tech jobs in rural areas.
- Biofuels add nearly $4 billion to Iowa’s economy.
- 60% of Iowa’s corn is processed at an Iowa ethanol plant.
- Growing markets for ethanol grows markets for Iowa’s most productive farmers.
- Most recent Des Moines Register Iowa Poll found 85% of Iowans from rural and urban areas and across party lines recognize ethanol is important to Iowa’s economic success.
When more consumers have the opportunity to choose a higher biofuel blend at the pump like E15, these benefits only grow.
Earlier this year the D.C. Circuit Court overturned an EPA rule that made it legal for fuel retailers to sell E15 in Iowa all year long. That decision has been appealed but, without state-level action the future of E15 in Iowa and the many benefits it creates are in jeopardy, including:
- Saving consumers 5-10 cents per gallon
- Boosting farm income
- Reducing cancer-causing emissions
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions